Nebulizers have started to be used widely in the medical industry since the onset of the twentieth century. They are used to provide relief to various kinds of respiratory conditions. They provide atomized particles of the drug to the airways. Traditionally, there are two basic types of nebulizers – jet nebulizer and ultra-sonic nebulizer. Ultrasonic Nebulizers are gaining popularity these days due to their compact size, fast action, and long lasting relief.
How Does Nebulizer Work?
Generally, a nebulizer works on the principle that when pressurized air passes through a liquid which contains the medicine, it turns it into the mist. This mist, for asthma patients, makes it more comfortable to inhale than the spray from a pocket inhaler. It is also more beneficial than an inhaler because the medicated mist reaches straight to the lungs, and start working on them quickly. The advantage of nebulizers is that they can deliver both acute (short-time) and long-acting asthma therapy to the patients. Also, a combination of different medicines is administered via a nebulizer. Some medications used in a nebulizer include:
Ultrasonic Nebulizer Explained
There are two fundamental types of nebulizers. The Jet Nebulizer uses pressurized gas that accelerates through a narrow hole (venture principle). An Ultrasoniq Nebulizer, on the other hand, uses the alternating current to vibrate the piezoelectric crystal (which is polarized and contained inside a reservoir of drug solution). This results in the formation of standing waves in the solution. Small particles break free from these waves, and thus, forms an aerosol. This aerosol is used to provide relief to patients suffering from respiratory problems.
Ultrasoniq Nebulizers enjoy an advantage over their jet counterparts as the aerosol formation is faster, and they have a higher drug concentration which spreads evenly throughout the nebulizing period. The size of the aerosol produced inside a nebulizer is of great importance and it should lie between 0.5µm to 5µmbecause if the particle size is more significant than this, it will be stuck inside the upper airway and consequently, swallowed, whereas if the size of the aerosol particles is smaller than 0.5µm, it will be exhaled without benefitting the lungs.
Based on their design, Ultrasonic Nebulizers are further classified into two types. These are handheld and humidifier. The handheld and battery operated patients use Ultrasonic Nebulizer on the go. It is small in size, and easier to carry. This is suitable for mobile patients who want instant relief from asthma and other lung-related complications. The other, humidifier type Ultrasonic Nebulizer is ideal for stationary patients, who have a history of chronic lung related diseases. It is a large machine which dispenses large amounts of colorless water vapor into the surroundings. Although both types of Nebulizers differ in size, the underlying mechanism of producing aerosols from alternating current remains the same.
Cleaning and Caring for your Ultrasonic Nebulizer
Ultrasoniq Nebulizers are a state of the art equipment which is used to provide instant relief to respiratory problems. The device must be cleaned and sanitized after every treatment to protect from the bacteria and germs that could grow inside it if not done correctly. Here are simple steps to daily cleaning and sanitizing your Ultrasoniq Nebulizer.
- Remove the medicine container after taking off the mouthpiece/mask of the Ultrasonic Nebulizer.
- Wash this container with a block of mild liquid dishwasher soap and lukewarm water.
- Shake off the container to remove extra water.
- Reconnect the mouthpiece/mask, along with the medicine container. Run the Ultrasonic Nebulizer to air-dry the pieces.
- Remove the mouthpiece/mask and medicine container.
- Allow it to soak for one hour in three-part hot water and one part white vinegar, or the solution provided by your doctor.
- Remove the parts from the solution and let them air-dry, or connect them to the machine and turn it on to dry them.
Advantages of Ultrasonic Nebulizers
Many advantages make Ultrasonic Nebulizers the perfect choice when it comes to treating respiratory problems. Some of them are:
- They provide a wide range of use and can be used to treat both minor, and chronic lung-related conditions and provide quick, and long-lasting relief. They can improve the health of the patient very quickly.
- They are quiet and portable. The handheld Ultrasonic Nebulizers can easily be carried in your travel bag and can be used anywhere because they are battery operated. So, no hassles of finding an electricity point. Also, they are reticent in operation.
- They are easy to clean. The Ultrasonic Nebulizers come with a detachable mouthpiece/mask, and a medicine container, which can be removed quickly to clean and disinfect. Thus, your nebulizer will be free of any bacteria or germs.
- The Ultrasonic Nebulizers are quick in operation. On average, an Ultrasonic Nebulizer takes about 5-7 minutes to provide relief. Thus, the nebulizing sessions are fast and very effective.
- As discussed above, an Ultrasonic Nebulizer uses the principle of converting alternating current into standing waves, which further produce the medicated aerosol. Nowhere in the process, any external heat is required, and hence, the quality of medicine is preserved for a long time.
With the increasingly sedentary lifestyles, junk-foods, rising pollution levels, the cases of lung-related diseases have steadily increased. Studies have concluded that there has been a rising number of deaths due to respiratory infections in the past years Nevertheless, medical science has also made tremendous progress in the treatment of these diseases. Ultrasoniq Nebulizers are no less than a magic potion for people who have asthma, COPD, pneumonia, chronic bronchitis or emphysema. With its compact design and quick operation, it provides instant relief to affected people.
That being said, the advantages of a healthy lifestyle cannot be overlooked. Daily exercise or a routine walk, combined with green leafy vegetable-based diet can go a long way in ensuring overall fitness of the individual.